Hey there, young warriors! As teenagers, you are at the forefront of a constant spiritual battle. The enemy wants to take you down and keep you from experiencing the abundant life that Jesus has for you. But fear not! God has provided you with the necessary equipment to stand firm and fight back against the schemes of the devil. That equipment is the Armor of God.
As you go through this lesson, I want you to understand how critical it is to put on the Armor of God every day. It’s not just for when you’re in a crisis, but it’s a daily necessity. When you put on the Armor of God, you are equipped to stand firm in your faith, resist temptation, and win spiritual battles. Let’s dive into the Armor of God and discover how it can protect us in the midst of spiritual warfare.
Bible Reading For Teenagers: Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV)
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”
Explanation For Teenagers: What is the Armor of God?
The Armor of God is a metaphor used by Paul in Ephesians 6:10-18 to describe the spiritual protection that God provides for his followers. It’s a set of tools that equip believers to stand firm in their faith, resist temptation, and defeat the enemy’s attacks. Let’s break down the different pieces of the Armor of God:
- Belt of Truth: The belt of truth represents knowing and living by God’s truth. It keeps everything in place and provides a foundation for the rest of the armor.
- Breastplate of Righteousness: The breastplate protects our hearts and represents living a righteous life in Christ.
- Shoes of the Gospel of Peace: The shoes symbolize the readiness to share the gospel with others and the peace that comes from knowing Christ.
- Shield of Faith: The shield protects us from the enemy’s attacks and helps us to extinguish the fiery darts of doubt, fear, and temptation.
- Helmet of Salvation: The helmet protects our minds and represents the assurance of salvation that we have through Christ.
- Sword of the Spirit: The sword is the Word of God, which is our offensive weapon in spiritual battles. It’s the truth that we use to defend ourselves and attack the enemy.
- Prayer: Prayer is our constant communication with God and is vital to our spiritual warfare.
Youth Group Discussion Questions:
- Why do you think the Armor of God is important for us as believers?
- Which piece of the Armor of God do you struggle with the most? Why?
- How can you make sure you’re putting on the Armor of GodBible Reading: 1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIV)
“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.”
Explanation For Teenagers: Spiritual Warfare and Protection
As we put on the Armor of God, we are acknowledging that we are in a spiritual battle. The enemy wants to destroy us, but we can resist him by standing firm in our faith and wearing the armor God has given us. This battle is not just for us individually, but it’s for the entire family of believers. We are all undergoing the same sufferings and fighting the same enemy. We need to stay alert and sober-minded, recognizing that the enemy is always prowling around looking for someone to devour.
Youth Group Discussion Questions:
- How do you stay alert and sober-minded in the midst of spiritual warfare?
- What are some ways you can resist the enemy when he tries to attack you?
- How can you support and encourage other believers in the midst of spiritual battles?
Youth Group Game: Armor Relay
For this game, split the youth group into two teams. Each team will have to put on the Armor of God in the correct order as quickly as possible. The first team to finish wins!
Dear God, we thank you for the Armor of God that you have given us to protect us in the midst of spiritual warfare. Help us to put it on daily and stand firm in our faith. We pray that you would give us the strength to resist the enemy and stay alert and sober-minded. Help us to support and encourage one another as we fight this battle together. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.