As teenagers, it’s easy to feel lost in the world and unsure about your place in it. But in Acts 2:1-21, we see the power of the Holy Spirit coming down upon the disciples, giving them clarity, direction, and purpose. Through this passage, we can learn what it means to truly follow Jesus and be filled with His Spirit.
Read Acts 2:1-4 together as a group.
- The day of Pentecost was a Jewish festival that took place 50 days after Passover.
- The Holy Spirit came down upon the disciples in the form of tongues of fire, filling them with boldness and enabling them to speak in different languages.
- This event marked the beginning of the early church and the spread of the gospel throughout the world.
1. What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit?
2. Why do you think the disciples were given the ability to speak in different languages?
3. How can we apply the message of Pentecost to our lives today?
Read Acts 2:5-13 together as a group.
- People from all over the world heard the disciples speaking in their own languages and were amazed.
- Some people accused the disciples of being drunk, but Peter explained that they were filled with the Holy Spirit.
1. Why do you think some people doubted the disciples?
2. How can we overcome skepticism when sharing the gospel with others?
3. What are some ways we can use our own unique abilities and talents to share the good news of Jesus with others?
Read Acts 2:14-21 together as a group.
- Peter preaches to the crowd, explaining that what they are witnessing is the fulfillment of prophecy.
- He quotes from the book of Joel, emphasizing that God’s Spirit will be poured out on all people.
1. Why do you think Peter chose to quote from Joel in his sermon?
2. How does this passage show that the gospel is for everyone, regardless of background or nationality?
3. What are some practical ways we can share the love of Christ with those who are different from us?
Youth Group Game
Game: “Spirit Filled Charades”
- Divide into two teams.
- One person from each team will come up and act out a scenario where they are filled with the Holy Spirit (e.g. preaching to a crowd, praying for healing, etc.)
- Their team has to guess what scenario they are acting out within a minute.
- The team with the most correct guesses wins.
Thank You for filling us with Your Holy Spirit and giving us the courage and boldness to share Your love with others. Help us to remember the message of Pentecost and to always be willing to follow wherever You lead us.
In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.