As teenagers, it’s important to understand the foundation of our faith. The book of Genesis is the beginning of God’s Word, and it sets the stage for everything that follows. In this lesson, we will be looking at Genesis 1:1-2:4a to gain a deeper understanding of who God is and how He created the world.
Bible Reading: Genesis 1:1-5
“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.”
- In the beginning, God created everything out of nothing
- The earth was formless, dark, and chaotic until God spoke and brought order to it
- God saw that everything He created was good and it was done according to His plan
- What stood out to you in this passage?
- How did God show His power and authority in this passage?
- How does this passage give you a better understanding of who God is?
Bible Reading: Genesis 1:20-25
“And God said, “Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens.” So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so. And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.”
- God created all kinds of living creatures in the sea, sky, and on land
- God blessed them and commanded them to be fruitful and multiply
- Everything God created was good and done according to His plan
- What do these verses teach us about God’s creativity?
- How do these verses show that God cares about His creation?
- How can we honor God by taking care of the environment and the animals He created?
Youth Group Game: “Creation Charades”
Divide into two teams. Each team will take turns acting out a creation from Genesis 1 while the other team tries to guess which creation is being acted out. The team with the most correct guesses wins.
Bible Reading: Genesis 2:4a
“These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.”
- This verse is a summary of what was previously described in Genesis 1
- It emphasizes that everything was created by God and done according to His plan
- Why do you think this summary is included in Genesis?
- How does this summary help us understand the importance of God’s creation?
- How can we appreciate God’s creation in our daily lives?
God, thank You for creating everything in this world. Help us to appreciate and take care of Your creation. Teach us to trust You and follow Your plan for our lives. In Jesus’ name, amen.