Introduction: Why is this topic important?
Hey, everyone! Today we’re going to talk about a subject that is not only crucial to our faith but also has a significant impact on the world around us. That topic is Creation and Stewardship: Caring for God’s Creation. As teenagers, you are the future leaders of our communities, and what you learn and put into practice now will shape the world for years to come. So, let’s dive in and explore why caring for God’s creation should be a priority in our lives.
Bible Reading: Genesis 1:26-28
“Then God said, ‘Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’ So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, ‘Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.'”
- God created us in His image, giving us authority over all living things on earth.
- He entrusted us with the responsibility to take care of His creation.
- Our stewardship of the earth reflects our love and appreciation for God’s gifts.
- What does it mean to be made in the image of God?
- How do you think our actions towards the environment reflect our relationship with God?
Youth Group Game: Earthkeeper Relay
Objective: To raise awareness about the importance of recycling and taking care of the environment.
Materials: Two bins (one for trash, one for recycling), a variety of recyclable and non-recyclable items, two blindfolds.
- Divide the group into two teams.
- Place the bins at opposite ends of the room.
- Blindfold one person from each team and have them stand near the bins.
- Give each team an equal number of recyclable and non-recyclable items.
- The goal is for the teams to guide their blindfolded teammate to place the items in the correct bin.
- The first team to finish wins!
Bible Reading: Psalm 24:1-2
“The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters.”
- Everything we see around us belongs to God.
- We are merely stewards of His creation.
- Our responsibility is to take care of what He has given us and use it wisely.
- How can you be a good steward of God’s creation in your daily life?
- What are some ways our actions can show that we recognize the earth as God’s property?
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for creating this beautiful world and entrusting it to us. Help us to be good stewards of Your creation, showing our love and appreciation for all that You have given us. Guide us in our daily lives to make choices that honor You and protect the environment. May we always remember that the earth is Yours, and may we strive to care for it in a way that reflects Your love. In Jesus’ name, Amen.