As teenagers, it can be difficult to navigate our faith and understand what it means to believe in Jesus. It’s essential that we study the Bible to help us grow in our understanding of who God is and how He works in our lives. Luke 24:44-53 is a crucial passage for teenagers to study because it teaches us about Christ’s ascension into heaven and how it relates to our faith today.
Bible Reading: Luke 24:44-49
Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”
- In this passage, Jesus reminds His disciples that everything written about Him in the Law of Moses, Prophets, and Psalms has been fulfilled.
- He then opens their minds to understand the Scriptures and explains to them that the Christ (Messiah) had to suffer and die and rise again on the third day.
- Jesus also tells them that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all nations, starting in Jerusalem.
- Lastly, Jesus promises to send the Holy Spirit upon them to give them power.
Bible Reading: Luke 24:50-53
And he led them out as far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them. While he blessed them, he parted from them and was carried up into heaven. And they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple blessing God.
- In this passage, Jesus leads His disciples to Bethany and blesses them before being taken up into heaven.
- The disciples are filled with joy and continue to worship and bless God in the temple.
Youth Group Discussion Questions
1. What does it mean for us as teenagers that everything written about Jesus in the Bible has been fulfilled?
2. How does Christ’s suffering and death impact our faith today?
3. Why is repentance for the forgiveness of sins important, and how can we share this message with others?
4. In what ways have you experienced the Holy Spirit’s power in your life?
5. How can we continue to worship and bless God in our daily lives?
Youth Group Game: “Ascension Relay”
Divide the youth group into teams and set up a relay race. Have each team member run to a designated spot, read a verse from Luke 24:44-53, and then run back to their team to tag the next person. The first team to finish the relay wins!
Dear God, we thank You for sending Your Son to die on the cross for our sins and for raising Him from the dead. Help us to understand Your word and to share the message of repentance and forgiveness with others. Fill us with the Holy Spirit’s power so that we may serve You with joy and gratitude. In Jesus’ name, amen.
3 thoughts on “Youth Group Lesson about Growing in Faith: Luke 24:44-53”