Use this free Youth Bible lesson in your Sunday School or Youth Ministry to teach about prayer. More than ever, teenagers need to learn the power of prayer. This lesson will show why talking to God is important and essential their personal relationships with Jesus Christ. Use this free Bible teaching to make sure your High School and Junior High students make prayer a priority!
Bible study lesson 2: Why is Prayer Important?
Scripture Text: Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours (NIV).
The importance of prayer can never be overemphasized. It is one of the best avenues to communicate with our Father in Heaven. Prayer has evidently changed many situations, saved and delivered people, and released numerous blessings as well.
Little wonder Jesus admonished His disciples (in Matthew 26:41) to watch and pray. He did this because He knows the barriers prayers can break. So, continue to watch and pray as He commanded.
If time allows, choice a youth ministry game idea to break the ice and help the teenagers feel comfortable in the church group setting.
What is Prayer?
The modern definition of Prayer is a solemn request to God for help or an expression of appreciation addressed to God. In prayers, we praise God in adoration and appreciate Him in thanksgiving before asking for providence in supplication. More so, Prayer is a means to relay your request and intentions to God.
Through prayer, Christians can ask God for healing, mercy, deliverance, and miracles. Prayer is also a way to ask God, who is wiser than us, for wisdom, forgiveness, and direction. Meanwhile, God tells us in Jeremiah 33:3 (NIV) – “Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you don’t know.” In other words, God is always willing to hear and answer our prayers when we call upon Him.
Lesson: 10 Reasons Why Prayer is Important
1. Prayer helps us develop a relationship with God.
2. It helps us understand God and His loving nature (John 4:8).
3. Prayer provides the answers we need (2 Chronicles 7:14).
4. It helps us find direction in our lives.
5. Strengthens us to overcome temptations (Matthew 26:41).
6. Prayer invites the Holy Spirit to our lives (Romans 1:9-10).
7. It aligns our will with God’s will.
8. Prayer helps us to accept God’s will.
9. It works miracles (James 5:16).
10. Prayer helps us become more like Jesus.
Lesson Conclusion: Prayer is Powerful
Prayer is essential because it’s a link to receive heavenly blessings even while on earth. Furthermore, we’re Christians united under one true God, who is ever faithful and willing to help us when we ask in prayers.
Group Discussion Questions
- What is prayer, and why is it essential in developing faith?
- Why is it important to develop the habit of daily prayer?
- Is prayer important in choosing your future profession? Why?
Further Reading – James 5:3; John 17: 1-26; James 5:16.
Lead the Teenagers to Pray
Faithful God, we request that you teach us how to pray. Forgive us for the times we have failed to ask for your directions in prayers. Thank you, too, for giving us the privilege to call on your name and for answering all our prayers. In Jesus’ name, Amen.