Growing in faith is an essential aspect of being a teenager. It is during this time that we begin to ask questions, seek answers, and form our beliefs. The Bible offers guidance and wisdom for all aspects of life, and engaging with Scripture is critical for developing a strong foundation in our faith. Today, we will dive into Jeremiah 28:5-9 and explore its relevance for teenagers as we grow in our relationship with God.
Why Jeremiah 28:5-9 Matters for Teenagers
Jeremiah 28:5-9 is a passage that highlights the importance of discernment and understanding God’s true message. As teenagers, we are bombarded with various opinions, ideas, and messages from friends, family, and social media. This lesson will help us learn how to navigate through these influences and remain grounded in our faith.
Bible Reading: Jeremiah 28:5-9 (NIV)
5 Then the prophet Jeremiah replied to the prophet Hananiah before the priests and all the people who were standing in the house of the Lord. 6 He said, “Amen! May the Lord do so! May the Lord fulfill the words you have prophesied by bringing the articles of the Lord’s house and all the exiles back to this place from Babylon. 7 Nevertheless, listen to what I have to say in your hearing and in the hearing of all the people: 8 From early times the prophets who preceded you and me have prophesied war, disaster, and plague against many countries and great kingdoms. 9 But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the Lord only if his prediction comes true.”
- Jeremiah responds to Hananiah’s prophecy before the people and priests.
- He acknowledges that if Hananiah’s words come true, then it is indeed from the Lord.
- Jeremiah reminds everyone that true prophets have often prophesied war, disaster, and plague, and that a prophet of peace will be recognized only if their prophecy comes true.
- What can we learn from Jeremiah’s response to Hananiah about discerning true messages from God?
- How can we apply this lesson in our daily lives as teenagers, especially when dealing with various influences and opinions?
Youth Group Game: “Prophecy Charades”
This game will help illustrate the importance of discerning true messages and how challenging it can be to identify them.
- Divide the group into two teams.
- Each team will take turns acting out a Bible story or prophecy while the other team tries to guess what it is.
- The team with the most correct guesses wins!
After the game, discuss the following questions:
- Was it easy or difficult to determine the true message in each acted-out scenario? Why?
- How does this relate to our ability to discern true messages from God in our daily lives?
Closing Thoughts and Prayer
As we wrap up this lesson on Jeremiah 28:5-9, let us remember the importance of discernment and listening to God’s true message. The world is filled with distractions and competing voices, but as we grow in our faith, we can learn to navigate these challenges and remain grounded in our relationship with God.
Let’s close with a prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you for this time together as we explored Jeremiah 28:5-9. We ask for your guidance and wisdom as we continue to grow in our faith and discern your true message in our lives. Help us to navigate the many influences around us and stay focused on your Word. In Jesus’ name, we pray, Amen.