As teenagers, it can be hard to figure out where we fit in the world. We’re constantly bombarded with messages telling us who we should be and what we should do. It can be overwhelming trying to make sense of it all. But the good news is that God has a specific plan and purpose for each and every one of us. In 1 Corinthians 12:3b-13, Paul reminds us that we are all part of the body of Christ, and each of us has a unique role to play.
Bible Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:3b-6
“No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.”
Explanation for Teenagers
- We all have different spiritual gifts given to us by the Holy Spirit.
- These gifts are meant to be used to serve others and build up the body of Christ.
- Every person has a unique role to play in the church and in God’s plan.
- Our differences should be celebrated and used to bring glory to God.
Bible Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:7-11
“Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.”
- The Holy Spirit gives us different gifts for the common good.
- These gifts can include wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, prophecy, and more.
- We should never feel like our gift is not important or valuable.
- Our gifts should be used to serve others and bring glory to God.
Youth Group Discussion Questions
1. What spiritual gifts do you think you have?
2. How can you use your gifts to serve others?
3. Why do you think it’s important to celebrate our differences within the body of Christ?
4. How can we encourage one another to use our gifts to their fullest potential?
Youth Group Game: “Gift Swap”
- Have everyone in the group write down their name and one of their favorite things on a piece of paper.
- Put all the papers in a hat or bowl and mix them up.
- Each person will draw a name and then find a small gift that they think that person would like based on what they wrote down.
- After everyone has picked out a gift, have each person explain why they chose that gift for the person they picked.
Dear God, thank you for giving us all unique gifts and talents. Help us to use these gifts to serve you and others. Help us to celebrate our differences and work together as one body in Christ. Amen.