Why This Topic Matters for Teenagers
As teenagers, you are at a critical stage in your life where you’re discovering your identity and finding your place in the world. During this time, it’s essential to grow in your faith and understand your role as a disciple of Christ. The Great Commission, found in Matthew 28:16-20, is a cornerstone of the Christian faith, calling all believers to share the Gospel with others. By exploring this topic, you’ll learn how to become better disciples and live out your faith in a way that truly impacts the world around you.
The Great Commission: Matthew 28:16-20
Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
- Jesus appears to His disciples after His resurrection, giving them the command to share His message with the world.
- He emphasizes that He has “all authority” in heaven and on earth, ensuring that His followers have the power to carry out this mission.
- The Great Commission calls for making disciples, baptizing them, and teaching them to follow Jesus’ teachings.
- What does it mean to be a disciple of Christ? How can you apply this to your own life?
- Why do you think Jesus emphasizes His authority in this passage? How does that affect our confidence as we share the Gospel with others?
- What are some practical ways you can live out the Great Commission in your daily life?
Youth Group Game: “Go and Tell”
To help reinforce the message of the Great Commission, let’s play a game called “Go and Tell.” This game is similar to “Telephone,” but with a twist.
- Divide into two teams and have each team form a line.
- Give the first person in each line a Bible verse or a phrase related to the Great Commission.
- The first person must whisper the verse or phrase to the next person in line, and so on down the line.
- The last person in line must say the verse or phrase out loud.
- The team that gets the closest to the original verse or phrase wins!
This game emphasizes the importance of accurately sharing the message of the Gospel with others, just as Jesus commanded in the Great Commission.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for the opportunity to learn about the Great Commission and our role as disciples of Christ. We pray that You would give us the courage, wisdom, and passion to share Your love and truth with those around us. Help us to grow in our faith and become better disciples as we seek to fulfill Your mission in our lives. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.