The teenage years can be filled with turmoil and change. As you grow into an adult, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and unsure of who you really are. That’s why understanding God’s grace is so critical during this season. Let’s explore what the apostle Paul says about grace in Titus 3:4-7 and discover how God’s love shapes our identity!
Bible Reading – Titus 3:4-7
But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
- God showed His love and kindness by saving us. This wasn’t because of anything good we did, but because of His mercy.
- He saved us by causing us to be born again and renewing us through the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit transforms us to be more like Jesus.
- We are declared righteous by God’s grace, not by earning it.
- As children of God, we have the hope of eternal life as heirs of His kingdom.
- Have you ever felt like you had to earn God’s love and acceptance? Why do you think we sometimes feel that way?
- How does understanding salvation by grace shape your identity and purpose?
- What are some ways the Holy Spirit is transforming you to be more like Jesus?
- How should grace impact the way you view yourself and relate to others?
Each student gets a blank name tag and marker. Have them write their name and decorate it however they want. When finished, explain…
The name tags show our unique identities, but the true source of our identity is that we are dearly loved children of God! It’s not based on our accomplishments or appearance. Take a moment to thank God for adopting you into His family by His grace.
Thank you for saving us by your grace and not because of anything we did. Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to renew us and make us more like Jesus. Help us find our identity in you. Give us the grace to extend that same love to others. We want to live in a way that brings glory to you. In Jesus’ name, amen.