As teenagers, you are at a crucial stage in your faith journey. The choices you make and the priorities you set now will shape your future. In Philippians 1:21-30, the apostle Paul shares his perspective on life and how to live it fully for Christ. This passage challenges us to consider what truly matters and how we can live a life of purpose, even in the midst of challenges and pressures.
Bible Reading: Philippians 1:21-23
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far.”
- Paul’s mindset: Paul’s entire life revolved around Christ. He saw his purpose as living for Christ and sharing the good news with others.
- The value of life: Paul acknowledged that living for Christ meant fruitful labor and impact in this world.
- The tension: Paul admitted that he was torn between desiring to be with Christ in heaven and continuing to serve and impact others on earth.
- What does it mean for you to live for Christ?
- How can you prioritize your relationship with Christ in the midst of school, friends, and other activities?
- Do you ever feel torn between your desire to be in heaven with Christ and your responsibilities here on earth? How can you navigate this tension?
Bible Reading: Philippians 1:27-30
“Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.”
- Living worthy of the gospel: Paul encourages the Philippians to live in a manner that reflects their faith in Christ, regardless of their circumstances.
- Standing firm together: The unity of believers is important in facing opposition. Paul reminds them of the shared struggle they have in following Christ.
- Suffering for Christ: Paul recognizes that suffering may be part of their journey, but it is a privilege to suffer for the sake of Christ.
- How can we conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel in our daily lives?
- Why is unity important in standing firm against opposition? How can we support and encourage each other in our faith?
- How can we embrace suffering for Christ, even when it’s challenging?
Youth Group Game: “Faithful Choices”
Divide the group into teams. Each team will be given a scenario or dilemma where they have to make a choice that aligns with living for Christ. The team must discuss and present their choice, explaining how it reflects their faith. Encourage creative thinking and discussion within the teams.
Dear Heavenly Father,
We thank you for the example of the apostle Paul and his passion for living for Christ. Help us to prioritize our relationship with you and to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel. Strengthen our unity as a group and give us the courage to face opposition and challenges. May we embrace the privilege of suffering for Christ and find our purpose in serving you. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Note: This lesson is inspired by Louie Giglio and Lecrae’s contemporary approach to teaching and engaging with teenagers.