As teenagers, it’s easy to get caught up in all the things happening around us. From schoolwork and extracurricular activities to social media and relationships, the noise can be overwhelming. But as Christians, we are called to live differently. We are called to live a life that is rooted in faith and trust in Jesus Christ. In John 7:37-39, Jesus speaks about the living water that He provides to those who believe in Him. This passage is a powerful reminder of the importance of growing our faith in Jesus.
Bible Reading: John 7:37-39 (NIV)
“On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.’ By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.”
- On the last day of the Feast of Tabernacles, Jesus stood up and spoke these words.
- He invited anyone who was thirsty to come to Him and drink. This was a metaphor for receiving eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ.
- Jesus promised that whoever believes in Him will have rivers of living water flowing from within them. This refers to the Holy Spirit who lives within believers and helps them to live a life that glorifies God.
- At the time this was spoken, the Holy Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus had not yet been crucified and resurrected.
Bible Reading: John 4:13-14 (NIV)
“Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'”
Explanation for Teenagers
- In John 4, Jesus speaks to the woman at the well and offers her living water.
- He explains that the water from the well will only quench her physical thirst temporarily, but the living water He provides will satisfy her soul forever.
- This is another example of how Jesus offers eternal life to those who believe in Him.
Youth Group Discussion Questions
1. What does it mean to be thirsty for God? How do you know when you are thirsty for God?
2. Why do you think Jesus used water as a metaphor for eternal life?
3. What are some practical ways you can drink from the living water that Jesus offers?
4. How can the Holy Spirit help us grow our faith and live a life that glorifies God?
Youth Group Game: “Living Water Relay”
Divide the youth group into two teams. Each team will have a large water jug filled with water at one end of the room and an empty water jug at the other end. The objective of the game is for each team member to take turns filling up a small cup with water from the full jug and running to the empty jug to pour it in. The first team to fill their empty jug wins. Before starting the game, remind the group that just like the water in the game, we need to continually be filled with the living water that Jesus provides.
Dear God, thank you for the gift of eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ. Help us to continually drink from the living water that only He can provide. We ask that you fill us with your Holy Spirit so that we can grow our faith and live a life that glorifies you. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.