Hello, high school and middle school students! Today, we’re diving into Psalm 119:105-112. This passage is vital for us as teenagers because we are in a critical phase of life, where the choices we make can significantly impact our futures. These verses teach us about the importance of using God’s Word as a guide in our daily lives.
Bible Reading: Psalm 119:105-112
Let’s start by reading the passage together:
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to keep your righteous rules. I am severely afflicted; give me life, O Lord, according to your word! Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O Lord, and teach me your rules. I hold my life in my hand continually, but I do not forget your law. The wicked have laid a snare for me, but I do not stray from your precepts. Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart. I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever, to the end.”
- God’s Word is a lamp and a light: It illuminates our path, guiding us through life’s uncertainties.
- The Psalmist commits to keeping God’s rules: Even when life gets tough, staying true to God’s commands brings fulfillment and purpose.
- The Psalmist asks for God’s guidance and sustains his faith: Despite the challenges and temptations, he remains firm in his faith.
- What does it mean to you that God’s Word is a “lamp to your feet and a light to your path”?
- How can you commit to keeping God’s rules in your daily life?
- In what ways do you see the Psalmist expressing his faith in God despite his afflictions?
Youth Group Game: “Lamp to My Feet”
This game will help illustrate the concept of God’s Word being a lamp to our feet. In a dimly lit room, place various obstacles. One person will have a flashlight (representing God’s Word) and guide their blindfolded partner through the room without touching any obstacles. Discuss the experience afterwards.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that guides us in our daily lives. Help us to understand and apply it more in our lives. Give us strength to remain faithful to you, no matter the challenges we face. May your Word continue to be a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. Amen.
Remember, just as the flashlight guided the blindfolded person in our game, so too does God’s Word guide us in our lives. Let’s keep this lesson in mind as we navigate through the week. Be blessed!